Will my ob want to deliver my big baby a couple weeks early? I have gestational diabetes?

Dr. Alvin Fried
Internal Medicine - Diabetology

In brief: Perhaps

The answer is completely up to your ob, as it depends on how the baby is doing, assuming your diabetes is well controlled.
If everything is going well you masy be able to go to full term.

In brief: Perhaps

Dr. Alvin Fried
Dr. Alvin Fried
Dr. Nadini Verma
Gynecology

In brief: Depends

The most important issue is bay's lung maturity, how well your diabetes is controlled , size of the baby and accuracy of your due date will all be considered in delivering your baby.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Nadini Verma
Dr. Nadini Verma
Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: Complicated

With gestational diabetes you have to consider your risks of dystocia, maturity of your infant, & how favorable your cervix is.
Usually if the efw is > 4 kilos (approx 9 lbs), recommendations are for c-section, to avoid the complications of dystocia. Discuss this with your OB since your prior history, glycemic control, & ease of prior deliveries all factor in what's best for you. Congrats on baby.

In brief: Complicated

Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Craig Keathley

In brief: Route, not timing

The most important factors affecting timing of delivery are fetal well being, control of diabetes, and fetal lung maturity.
Size alone should not affect timing of delivery, but may affect route of delivery. With diabetes, a csection may be recommended if the estimated weight is > 10 lbs.

In brief: Route, not timing

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Adam Levy