Why do I have tachycardia with my morning cup of coffee and first cigarette of the day?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Are you serious?
You're "medicating" yourself with a whopping dose of caffeine and nicotine, two potent cardiac stimulants.
Switch to decaf and lose the smokes!

In brief: Are you serious?
Switch to decaf and lose the smokes!
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Stimulant effect
The nicotine in cigarettes causes a release of several hormones in your body, including adrenaline, almost as soon as you inhale.
The coffee that you drink contains caffeine. Both adrenaline and caffeine are stimulants and as such will increase your heart rate, your blood pressure and your respiration giving you the tachycardia sensation you describe..

In brief: Stimulant effect
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Adam Smith