Why do I have tachycardia with my morning cup of coffee and first cigarette of the day?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Are you serious?

You're "medicating" yourself with a whopping dose of caffeine and nicotine, two potent cardiac stimulants.
Switch to decaf and lose the smokes!

In brief: Are you serious?

Switch to decaf and lose the smokes!
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Stimulant effect

The nicotine in cigarettes causes a release of several hormones in your body, including adrenaline, almost as soon as you inhale.
The coffee that you drink contains caffeine. Both adrenaline and caffeine are stimulants and as such will increase your heart rate, your blood pressure and your respiration giving you the tachycardia sensation you describe..

In brief: Stimulant effect

Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Peter Kurzweil