Is swelling common to have after breast augmentation?

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

Some degree of “swelling” is to be expected after any type of breast surgery.
However, what is “normal” versus swelling related to a complication can only be determined clinically. This is why careful follow-up with your plastic surgeon will be important after the procedure is performed. Best wishes.

Dr. Wayne Ledinh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Generally, yes.

A certain amount of swelling is expected after breast augmentation.
However, if there is significant swelling of one breast more than the other, you should see your plastic surgeon to make sure there is no hematoma (collection if blood).

In brief: Generally, yes.

Dr. Robert Steely
Surgery - Plastics

A moderate amount of swelling is common after augmentation surgery- it can take several weeks to resolve completely.
A large amount of swelling or very asymmetric swelling needs to be addressed by your platic surgeon- this could signal the need for further intervention. I hope this helps

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: For sure

Swelling is common after any surgical procedure, I have seen studies suggesting that swelling may be as much as 10-15% and may last for up to 6-9 months although, in most instances 90% of your result occurs by 3 months.

In brief: For sure

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery