Is heat therapy effective for treating Achilles tendonitis / tendonosis?

Sometimes. If you have tendinitis - icing is best to help decrease inflammation as well as NSAID medication (i.e. Ibuprofen, naprosyn). Heat may help "loosen up" the tissue prior to therapy/exercises. Icing should be resumed post exercise to again decrease inflammation.
Not really. Superficial heat packs don't heat the tissues deep enough to be effective in achilles tendon issues. Deep heating modalities such as ultrasound or mds laser therapy are more effective. Daily stretching and electrical stimulation may be helpful as well.