Are dental implants always  painfull?

Dr. Wayne Roccia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: NO WAY
In most cases dental implants are not painful at all! in our practice most dental implant patients do not require any pain medicine other than over the counter tylenol (acetaminophen) or advil.
Often times, the dental extraction is by far more uncomfortable than a dental implant.

In brief: NO WAY
Dr. Wayne Roccia
Dr. Wayne Roccia
Dr. Lokesh Rao
Dentistry
In brief: Seldomly so...
Implant placement can cause pain when there is: -Aggressive site preparation and/or lack of adequate irrigation resulting in the "burning" of the bone.
-Impingement of biologic structures (Nerve/Sinus perforation), which can be solved by getting a CT scan. -Improper pain management. I've placed over 150 implants. No complaints yet. The above issues are not a problem for most. Good luck

In brief: Seldomly so...
Dr. Lokesh Rao
Dr. Lokesh Rao
Dr. William Coppola
Speaking as someone who has had an impact, you will experience a bit of pressure in the area for a couple of days
Dr. Rod Zimmerman
Dentistry
In brief: No
There is no pain in placement of a dental implant as the patient is anesthetized.
Post-operative, the patient may experience post-op discomfort, however is usually minimal and well controlled with medication.

In brief: No
Dr. Rod Zimmerman
Dr. Rod Zimmerman
Dr. John Scuba
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Pain with implants
Unfortunately, all patients are different! clinicians can claim "this surgery" or "that procedure" is "painless", but it's never a way to start a relationship.
Incisions are made, and bone is prepared (ie drilled), so there is always some pain. In most cases routine pain meds (nsaids or hydrocodone) relieves it just fine. Patients led to believe anything is "painless" are often unhappy patients.

In brief: Pain with implants
Dr. John Scuba
Dr. John Scuba
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: Dental implants
Every body is different.
Pain usually is worse in the first 3 days (more in the first 24 hours). This is something you need to talk to your oral surgeon who placed the implant, they are good at this.

In brief: Dental implants
Every body is different.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dentistry
In brief: No
Most often dental implants are not painful.
The surgery is usually very predictable and results in very little discomfort. Bone does not contain nerves, so the work done in the bone does not cause pain. There is minimal to no swelling, if proper post-operative protocols are followed and the proper medication(s) are prescribed and taken as directed.

In brief: No
Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry
In brief: Shouldn't be
It might be a little uncofortable soon after getting your implant placed in your mouth.
But ut that doesn't last long. When I had mine put in...No pain at all except for where the shots were given. After you get your teeth on the implant might be a little sore since there hasn't been any biting sensation in the area for some time. But that can be adjusted. So pain should be minimal.

In brief: Shouldn't be
Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: NO
When a dental implant is placed the dentist should have you on certain medications.
This helps to keep pain to a "soreness" since a wound is being created. An antibiotic for one week starting the day before the procedure and anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofin. Some dentists like myself use a steroidal medicine also to keep pain and swelling to a very minimum.

In brief: NO
Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
In brief: Not at all!
Dental implants are placed as a minor surgical procedure and there is almost always a minor pain component involved with any surgery.
I have had 2 implants placed in me, one in an extraction site the same day and another in a grafted site. I only required Motrin for a day or two to be comfortable. Only the most extensive reconstructive implant cases would probably be a little more uncomfortable!

In brief: Not at all!
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management
In brief: Relatively painless
Fortunately, modern anesthetics allow dental implant placement to be done virtually pain-free.
The actual procedure should be virtually pain-free and worry free.

In brief: Relatively painless
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Andres Carbunaru
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: A little sometimes
To place an implant we need to perform little surgery, of course the is going to be a little discomfort that can be treated with pain medication for less than a week, aftr athat no pain at all.

In brief: A little sometimes
Dr. Andres Carbunaru
Dr. Andres Carbunaru
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: Rarely very much
Typically the pain associated with dental implant surgery is from the gum tissue manipulation and the injection sites.
The implant placed in bone creates almost no pain initially or later. Most patients use only Ibuprofen for pain management, unless an entire arch is treated, then they may use something stronger for a few days.Many of my patients go back to work that day or the next.Think positive.

In brief: Rarely very much
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: No
It is unusual to have intense pain after the procedure.
Often patients may have some discomfort for 1-2 days if at all.

In brief: No
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: No!
Dental implant treatment is generally not painful, if properly performed under good local and I.
V. Anesthesia. Many patients never take any pain medicine, because they're not having any pain. If there is pain present, there may be a problem, such as an infection or a failing implant. Implants that are properly integrated into the jaw are completely pain-free. You shouldn't feel them at all.

In brief: No!
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates