I am allergic to chicken, pork, beef, clam, egg, soy, barley, oat, cashew, brazil nut, and english walnut. Could I have a protein intolerance?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: What kind of allergy
Prick, blood tests not very accurate re: food allergies.
Neg tests exclude an immune reaction (true allergy), but pos tests have less value. Best test is a double-blind food challenge (neither tester nor pt know which is which, until code is cracked at end of test); cumbersome.This excludes about 90% of "allergies". Other blood tests can be used, not "live-cell"-bogus, no "applied kinesiology".

In brief: What kind of allergy
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
2 comments
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
depending on the seriousness of the allergy, food challenge may need to be done in an medical office prepared to treat anaphylaxis.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Thanks, Drs Heller and Berkowitz.
Dr. Kristin Sokol
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Please see allergist
It would be very uncommon to be truly allergic to all of these foods.
See an allergist for further diagnosis and management. An oral food challenge is the gold standard for diagnosing food allergies.

In brief: Please see allergist
Dr. Kristin Sokol
Dr. Kristin Sokol
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Protein intoleerance
Protein intolerance is an inability to metabolize or digest certain proteins.
It is not an allergy. Thus, having allergic reactions to the multiple substances you mention would have nothing to do with protein intolerance. Allergies usually cause itching and rashes, sometimes wheezing. Protein intolerance tends to cause malabsorption of food, weight loss, nausea, weakness, etc.

In brief: Protein intoleerance
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Paul Carter
In brief: Symptoms or + test?
If you are having symptoms with the foods that you named but haven't been tested, you should be tested by a board certified allergist to help you confirm if you are allergic.
If you have not had any symptoms, but only have had a + test, you may still not be allergic to the food. I would recommend consultation with an allergist to help you work through this.

In brief: Symptoms or + test?
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Q for Allergists, GI
Thank you for providing additional information in the comments to prior answers.
I will share this with some additional specialists and subspecialists on our site.

In brief: Q for Allergists, GI
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Ankush Bansal
In brief: No
First, you can't be intolerant of proteins in general, only to some here & there.
Second, i find it hard to believe that you are truly allergic to all of these things. An allergy is a specific immune reaction (e.g. Difficulty breathing, swelling, rash, & other well-defined symptoms). If, for example, you just get vomitting, mild stomach ache, or watery diarrhea, then you are intolerant only.

In brief: No
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Get an allergy test for all these things to see if you're truly allergic. If so, you have some very bad luck.
Dr. Shontae Buffington