Does pulmonary hypertension affect all races at similar rates?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Complicated

I'm assuming you're referring to idiopathic or primary pulmonary hypertension? I don't think there has ever been a world wide study - most studies include a registry in their own country, so i don't think the answer to your question is known.
There are genetic factors so the incidence may well be different in different races.

In brief: Complicated

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Fernando Torres
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Unclear

We have not noticed any difference in race in our trials, but they were not powered to find race differences.

In brief: Unclear

Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Donald Elton
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Maybe

The disease is still rare and most patients are going undiagnosed.
Because of this good data is difficult to get when those diagnosed are the minority and other factors influence who gets diagnosed. That said, there is a recent study showing mortality is worse among black women - at least in the US but this says nothing of prevalence.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Donald Elton
Dr. Donald Elton