21 years old..Had mitral valve repair heart surgery..I love drinking coffee, use to drink more than one cup a day..Can i still have caffeine?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Yes, but...

Without knowing what kind of surgery it is hard to be completely sure about recommendations, however some caffeine is likely quite safe.
In general, it is good to be moderate in using such stimulants as caffeine as they can result in fast heart rates and elevated blood pressure. But as exercise can also raise heart rate, what happens with caffeine should not be a problem.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Karen Dantin

As long as you do not have signs of caffeine overdose, like palpitations, you should be ok.

Dr. Karen Dantin
Dr. Karen Dantin
Dr. John Hanna

One cup probably will not hurt if you do not have symptoms.
But the real question to ask is, "why would you want to jeopardize your health?" consider that you might need to talk about your feelings of having had the procedure with you physician. Sounds like you have some issues you need to discuss. Personally i would consider myself "allergic to caffeine" as an excuse not to be tempted.

Dr. John Hanna
Dr. John Hanna
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine