Dx w malignant melanoma today..Surgery scheduled. Symptoms it has spread? Body check was negative. Small spot on face.

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Depth

The risk of melanoma spreading to other parts of your body depends on the thickness of your primary melanoma.
Usually I recommend that a lymph node biopsy be performed for melanomas that are thicker than 0.76mm or those with other worrisome features.

In brief: Depth

Dr. Susanne Gee
Dermatology

In brief: Depends on depth

Malignant melanoma is categorized by its depth in the skin.
If it is superficial (melanoma in situ) it is less likely to spread, but not impossible. At a certain depth, the dermatologist usually recommends a chest xray and sometimes a lymph node biopsy to determine spread. Frequent return visits for skin checks are also recommended. Be glad your melanoma was recognized and will be removed.

In brief: Depends on depth