If my pap smear states I have stage four cancer, what are the exact abbreviations that are used on the results form?

Dr. Craig Keathley

In brief: Screening

Current terminology for pap smears most commonly include atyical squamous cells, lsil and hsil (low or high grade squamous intraepithelial lesions).
A cancer diagnosis is based on a biopsy and cervical cancer staging is based on a surgical evaluation. The pap is screening only--it does not provide a definitive diagnosis.

In brief: Screening

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Confusion of terms

A pap smear may indicate that you have suspicious or cancerous cells in the cervix, but it cannot diagnose stage 4 cancer.
You need to discuss the results again with your health care provider to clear up the confusion.

In brief: Confusion of terms

Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Jane Van Dis