I've had a bad cough - coughing up mucus- for 2 weeks and now I also have a runny nose. Cough syrup helps a little bit. Is this just a cold?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Probable bronchitis.

You probably have bronchitis.
If you have only a low-grade fever, it is probably viral so antibiotics are not useful. If your symptoms are improving, you would need symptomatic relief only and you should see it resolve over the next few days. If your symptoms are worsening, see your doctor. You could also have residual bronchospasm best treated w/ inhalers that your doc can prescribe.

In brief: Probable bronchitis.

You probably have bronchitis.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Traci Buxton

In brief: Probably not

If you have been coughing up colored mucus for 2 weeks and over the counter remedies aren't working, it's time to be checked out by a doctor for a possible lung infection.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Traci Buxton
Dr. Traci Buxton
Dr. Steven Seres