I just had my pap smear. It came back normal. However I smell a odor a lot of the time..Almost like a cardboard smell. It is worse after sex. ?

Dr. Craig Keathley

In brief: Infection?

The pap is strictly a screening test for changes in the cells of the cervix that mey be cancer or pre-cancer. A normal pap merely indicates no evidence of precancerous changes.
Your symptoms suggest a possible infection or bacterial imbalance that should be evaluated by examining the vaginal discharge-- see your doctor and explain your symptoms.

In brief: Infection?

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky

In brief: Possible infection

A pap only evaluates for abnormal cells or potentially pre-cancerous cells.
It does not typically report any infection. It is possible that you could have a bacterial or yeast infection causing your symptoms and this may need to be treated with medication to resolve.

In brief: Possible infection

Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham