I've just started weight training how long till I see significant muscle mass and what foods can I eat and what drinks can I drink?

Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Patience

Building muscle takes time and effort.
Depending on your age, fitness level, body composition, etc. You may see a difference within a month, but it will take 3 months or so to build significant mass. In a study of div i football players, they put on about 12 pounds in 3 months. With the increased exercise, you will need extra calories and protein, but if you overdo it, the extra gets stored as fat.

In brief: Patience

Building muscle takes time and effort.
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Muscle building

Be sensible and patient.
Real changes in muscles and physique take a long time. Arnold schwarzenegger was not built in a day, nor even a year. Eat well. No magic. 3 full balanced meals a day with protein, carbs, lots of fruits and vegetables, and adequate (but not excessive) protein. Increase the total amount of calories you eat to more than offset what you are burning off by exercise.(3500 cal/h).

In brief: Muscle building

Be sensible and patient.
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine