Can smoking cigarettes cause erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Arthur Sands

In brief: Possible factor

Cigarettes are linked to atherosclerosis which can be a factor in ED - however a person would not develop this after smoking until after a relatively long period of time (10-20+ years of heavy smoking).
Diabetes is probably more of a cause because it affects small blood vessels.I think most ED is psychological in young and middle aged men (ages 20- 50+ ) however, low testosterone is another factor.

In brief: Possible factor

Dr. Arthur Sands
Dr. Arthur Sands
Dr. Thomas Bragg

The tar and nicotine can both permanently and transiently cause constriction of the blood vessels that deliver blood to the penis and cause an undersupply of blood to the tissue which cause erection.
Also chronic smoking can also cause a drop in testosterone which further causes erectile dysfunction.

Dr. Thomas Bragg
Dr. Thomas Bragg
Dr. Marsha Davis