How do I know if I tore my Achilles tendon?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Often clinical dx

The signs of this are often fairly typical and a physician is usually able to tell with a simple examination; both palpation of the tendon and a test call the thompson test are easy techniques.
A surgeon may order an MRI for preoperative planning if needed.

In brief: Often clinical dx

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Achilles

Lay on your belly, have someone queeze on your calf.
If your foot does not move down then this suggest achilles tendon rupture. However, is better to see doctor. We can't answer you question on the internet.

In brief: Achilles

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: It depends on

the severity of the injury, but in general pain/swelling in the back of the foot/heel, and inability to bend foot downward or stand on toes.

In brief: It depends on

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine