What can I take for severe pain after cavity filling?

Dr. Scott Williams
Dentistry

In brief: Ibuprofen works

I would contact your dentist as there may be another problem besides pain like infection or the filling is too high.
Ibuprofen works well for pain unless you have a medical condition which contraindicates taking an nsaid. Again contact your dentist to get some help.

In brief: Ibuprofen works

Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. Geoffrey Tyson
Pain Management

In brief: Call your dentist

Pain after a cavity is filled shouldn't be severe.
There might be some gum irritation for a day or two that would probably respond to over the counter Ibuprofen or a mild narcotic such as tramadol or low dose vicodin. If the pain is severe you should call your dentist and get back for another examination.

In brief: Call your dentist

Dr. Geoffrey Tyson
Dr. Geoffrey Tyson
Dr. Vikram Patel