What can I do to make running less painful on my shins?

Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine
In brief: Shin splints
Make sure you wear the proper running shoe for your foot strike: neutral vs.
Supination vs. Pronation. A good running store should be able to make that assessment. Mid foot strike has become more popular with the renewed interest in "barefoot running.".

In brief: Shin splints
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Many actions
Typically this represents shin splints, which most commonly involves microtears and irritation at the junction between the muscles on the inside and back portion of the lower leg and the tibia.
Tibial stress fracture always has to be considered. Consider runnning on softer surfaces, strengthening the calf muscles, updating your footwear if older than 9 months and adding recommended orthotics.

In brief: Many actions
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine