Should I take time out to deal with my depression? Can I take disability?

Dr. Chris Esguerra

In brief: Depends

If the depressive episode is severe and compromises your function at home and work, then addressing the depression becomes a high priority.
As far as taking leave or disability, that should be a discussion between you, your physician, and your employer.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Yes, it depends

If your depression is impairing your functiopn it might be better to take time off than develop a bad reputation.
If you have a disability policy sometimes there is a time period that you need to be out /ill before coverage kicks in.

In brief: Yes, it depends

Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad