Could potassium cause water retention in feet and ankles?

Water. As stated , potassium is not the cause of water or fluid retention. In fact there are potassium sparing BP meds. See your prescribing doc if you are on BP meds. If you are not , then see your family doc. Good luck.
Usually one . Takes potassium as the diuretic one is taking depletes potassium. The purpose of the diuretic is to help reduce the swelling. Perhaps, the diuretic is not being taken as frequently as it needs to be or the dosage is not enough. I have not heard of potassium being the culprit of edema toys feet.