My heart keeps skipping beats? Do I need an ecg?

Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Pediatrics - Cardiology

An ECG is a simple, easily accessible and reliable test to diagnose problems with your heart rhythm. Many perfectly healthy people experience "skipped" beats (which in reality are usually "extra" beats) or a fluttering sensation in the chest at one time or another but this should not be a reason to not obtain a medical opinion as to the nature of your sensations.

Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Arrythmias (irregular heart rhythm) need to be evaluated.
Dr. Eric Rashba
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Maybe

If the sensation is bothersome an ECG should be done.
Sometimes a longer recording with a monitor for a day or even a few weeks can be useful to correlate what you are feeling with the heart rhythm.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Eric Rashba
Dr. Eric Rashba
Dr. Umesh Patel