Interstitial cystitis, newly diagnosed. Pain is intense. What can I use?

Pathology

In brief: Difficult

You have my sympathy.
Pentosan polysulfate sodium ("elmiron") for several months is a mainstay of treatment but only helps some and will itself cause you stomach troubles. You will want to join the interstitial cystitis association and network with others. No one has looked at elimination diet as a trial of therapy for interstitial cystits.

In brief: Difficult

You have my sympathy.
Dr. John Kirk

In brief: Heparin & Elmiron (pentosan)

Classically, Elmiron 100 mg three times a day is a slow but helpful treatment.
Some use short course of Pyridium (phenazopyridine) 200 mg three times a day for the acute burning pain. Heparin flushes into the bladder and DMSO have been used but most of us gynecologists and urologists do not have great faith in these latter choices. Making sure no endometriosis is present is also important.

In brief: Heparin & Elmiron (pentosan)

Dr. John Kirk
Dr. John Kirk
Dr. Marsha Davis