Important question for doctor who knows a lot about heart disease. Is CHF always fatal?

No. Like with everything else, there are degrees of severity. If your CHF is mild or well controlled you can live for many more years and be productive. If your CHF is moderate you might not be as physically active but you might still live for many more years. If you have uncontrolled severe CHF you should talk to your doctor and consider your options (i.e.: assist devices or transplant).
No. But it can be fatal if not treated promptly or effectively.