I think I have melanoma. I have a mole that is very big and dark in the center. Biopsy or excise?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: See dermatologist

You should see a dermatologist immediately.
They would tell you what they think it is. They usually would do a biopsy and if proven to be a melanoma- would do a wide resection with negative margins and also many times would do lymph node evaluation/sentinel lymph node biopsy as indicated. See your dermatologist now and go from there.

In brief: See dermatologist

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Robert Warner

In brief: Excise

Its very difficult to tell if a skin lesion is malignant or benign, or if malignant what type of cancer without seeing it under the microscope, but if the lesion can be completely excised without causing a great deal of trouble(largely contingent upon where it's located)i would favor that approach.
If its a different type of primary skin cancer this completes treatment;melanoma needs further rx.

In brief: Excise

Dr. Robert Warner
Dr. Robert Warner