My father was diagnosed with coronary artery disease. Will I get this disease when i'm older?

Dr. John Thoppil

In brief: Not necessarily

Lucklily genes are just one part of us.
Environment also makes a difference. My father also had heart disease. I know that I have an increased genetic risk of similar problems so i work at taking care of myself. I suggest you focus on modifying your risk factors by maintaining a healthy weight by following a good diet and exercise. I suggest having your cholesterol checked on a regular basis.

In brief: Not necessarily

Lucklily genes are just one part of us.
Dr. John Thoppil
Dr. John Thoppil
Dr. Charles Jost
In addition to Dr. Thoppil's suggestions, check your blood pressure regularly. Your 'numbers': cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI, waist measurement (and blood sugar) are all good indicators of your risk of heart disease.
Dr. Jon Spiers
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: You might

There are many factors contributing to coronary artery disease.
Some are genetic - we can't choose our parents - so you may be more likely than others to get cad. Even so, you can modify many of your risk factors, and i encourage you to do so. Talk to your doctor to find out a more personalized approach.

In brief: You might

Dr. Jon Spiers
Dr. Jon Spiers