Big toe nail melanoma: should I see a podiatrist or dematologist?

Dr. Larry Nichter
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Melanoma treatment

My recomendation is neither. Melanoma if not treated properly or if advanced can be life threatening.
I recommend seeing a surgical oncologist, plastic surgeon in particular along with a medical oncologist to follow you.

In brief: Melanoma treatment

In brief: Big toe melanoma

See a podiatrist who does surgery or a dermatologist and also oncologist, it will be a team effort to treat you.
Are you close to any cancer centers? Melanoma is a very serious type of cancer. If you are already diagnosed with it, your doctor should be able to refer you to a specialist asap

In brief: Big toe melanoma

Dr. Edward Zimmerman
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Dermatologist

I love my podiatrist, but you need a dermatologist who is a moh's surgeon to be sure this most serious form of skin cancer is fully excised and that every millimeter of your skin and eyes are carefully checked for melanoma as well.
You may need screening to be sure it has not metastasized to anywhere else. Go immediately. Do not mess around with this. It kills people of all ages and races.

In brief: Dermatologist

In brief: Surgical Oncologist

You are going to require some exam of the lymph nodes as well as care and possible amputation of the toe.

In brief: Surgical Oncologist