I am a recovering alcoholic. Can my addiction contribute to cardiomyopathy?

Dr. James Marx
Pain Management
There are a cardiomyopathies with direct association with various types of alcohol ingestion, some of which may not be directly related to the alcohol but some of the other ingredients of the drink.

Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Rick Koch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
Yes however etoh cardiomyopathies can be reversible when cause is eliminated in conjunction with medicines that help the heart heal.
Other causes must also be excluded. See a cardiologist if not doing so already.

Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Addiction Medicine
Alcohol is a known toxin to the heart and can lead to a weaker heart muscle and irregularities of the heart rhythm.

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology