I had a heart attack when I was younger, will this contribute to me getting cardiomyopathy?

Mike Moore
In brief: Possibly
When you have a heart attack and your heart muscle is damaged, your heart becomes less effective at meeting your body's demands for blood.
This can become heart failure, resulting in cardiomyopathy. Also, if the heart disease that caused the heart attack is not treated you can have other heart attacks without symptoms. All people who have had a heart attack should be followed by a cardiologist.

In brief: Possibly
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Robert Roth
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice
In brief: Maybe
A single, small heart attack may not cause enough heart damage to result in cardiomyopathy.
Hardening of arteries which causes heart attacks progresses unless the cause is interrupted by treating the contributing causes. Healthy life style, medical evaluation and lowering your risk factors is effective in preventing cardiomyopathy.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Robert Roth
Dr. Robert Roth
Dr. Peter Kurzweil