I've had chicken pox and i was also vaccinated against chicken pox - am i still at risk of shingles later on? Or will the ch. Pox vaccine protect me?

In brief: Yes/no

Shingles is a process where the varicella (CPX) virus comes out of hibernation.
This is because the immune system has failed to keep it in check. Both the wild CPX and the shot have potential for later shingles. The zoster vaccine given to older people is actually a CPX vaccine with about 14X the stimulus material to boost the immune systems ability to keep it hibernating.

In brief: Yes/no

Dr. Craig MacArthur
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Do not know

We are now immunizing elderly with vaccine against varicella to decrease risk of zoster. These individuals had chicken pox.
They get zoster because their immune system declines with age, allowing zoster to occur. Since you had chicken pox, the virus is in you. We do not know how long your immunity to virus will last, but it is probably not forever. I recommend zoster vaccine later in life.

In brief: Do not know

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management

In brief: Chickenpox

The fact that you have had chickenpox puts you at risk of shingles.

In brief: Chickenpox

Dr. Jonathan Jassey