A recent non-contrast CT of the abdomen/pelvis said, "there is likely some retained oral contrast in the colon." i never had contrast. What is it?

Dr. Ryan Polselli
Radiology

In brief: One possibility

It is probably something you ingested that has a radiopaque component that mimicks the oral contrast that we administer. For example, one common cause is recent ingestion of pepto-bismol (because the bismuth is a metal), but there are others.
I wouldn't be concerned, but if i were you i would be curious too. I hope this helps.

In brief: One possibility

Dr. Ryan Polselli
Dr. Ryan Polselli

In brief: Something you ate

If you did not drink any oral contrast for the procedure then things like pepto bismol or milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) may show up.
Iron supplements can also show up.

In brief: Something you ate

Iron supplements can also show up.
Dr. Bruce J. Stringer
Dr. Bruce J. Stringer
Dr. Peter Baiocco
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Oral contrast

Most ct scans of the abdomen and pelvis are done with both IV and oral contrast.
If you had oral contrast then that's what it likely is.

In brief: Oral contrast

Dr. Peter Baiocco
Dr. Peter Baiocco
Dr. Arnon Rubin