Are "water pills'' okay for me to lose the excess water in my body. I feel bloted sometimes...And can I get water pills over the counter?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Not a good idea

It's not good to take diuretics just because you're swollen or feel 'bloated, ' and you can't get them over the counter in the United States.
If you have swelling in the feet you should find out why. Causes include heart disease, kidney disease, and peripheral vascular disease (venous insufficiency). If it's the latter, sodium restriction, leg elevation, and support stockings are best.

In brief: Not a good idea

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Andrea Brand