How can I make a bully go away?

Dr. Neil Liebowitz

In brief: Response to bullies

Bullies want to increase their sense of esteem at the sack of others.
The solution is to be smarter at their game. Agree with their stupid remarks and add or exagerate them so that it is clear that you can laugh at yourself and in doing so reduce the effect.. This makes them feel more stupid. Eg. "you're a stupid asshole" reply: "really, i'm glad you've enlightened me. Any other insights?".

In brief: Response to bullies

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
2 comments
Dr. Glen Elliott
This may help--or might make matters worse. If you are school age, get parents involved and let school authorities know, espeically of anything beyond verbal abuse.
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Unfortunately Dr Elliott is correct. Tell parents and school authorities but often they don't do much. Physical abuse must be reported.

In brief: Find a buddy

Bullies tend to target people who are isolated and alone.
Be sure to have a friend to do things and go places with to avoid being a target for the bully. Also tell someone in authority about the bullying behavior.

In brief: Find a buddy

Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Tell someone

Find someone you trust and say something.
Keeping it inside does nothing. Depending on the context, find out what resources you have at your disposal to stop the bullying. DO NOT TAKE THE LAW INTO YOUR OWN HANDS.

In brief: Tell someone

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry