How common is anaphylaxis shock with quinolones?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Increasingly common
Immediate allergic reactions to quinolones have increased over the past 20 years largely due to increased use.
In spain they're the 3rd most common cause of immediate hypersensitivity reactions after beta-lactams (pencillins) & nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Immediate hypersensitivity reactions also include hives, vomiting, and respiratory symptoms as well as anaphylaxis.

In brief: Increasingly common
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Luis Matos
In brief: It exists
Over the past 10 years, I have seen it only twice in my busy allergy practice.
More common it a shortness of breath, palpitations and anxiety if taken on an empty stomach with a cup of coffee. (I did it once and I'll never do it again) It feels like you have overdosed on caffeine. It usually passes yet I have seen these patients treated for this reaction as if it were anaphylaxis.

In brief: It exists
Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Andrew Murphy
In brief: Unusual
The most common allergic drug reactions is to pencillin like medications.
But as more meciations are used that are not penicillin like one can see more reactions to these meds.

In brief: Unusual
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy