Caregiving an elderly loved one in my home. Now getting itchy all over. Cause? Treatment?

Dr. Theresa Redling
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Scabies or bedbugs?
Be vigilant for rash around pant line, nipples and in between finger webs.
Scabies can be the great masquerader- often missed and spread around easily by caregivers. If there is an animal like a dog around, check for mange- it is communicable to humans as well. Treatment is easy and safe. If there is a chance of bed bugs(look at mattresses, sheets blood spots); look for the bugs closely.

In brief: Scabies or bedbugs?
Dr. Theresa Redling
Dr. Theresa Redling
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Follow instructions
Try Hydrocortisone cream 1% from a local pharmacy store remove any "new chemical" agents that never tried before like any kind of shampoo, lotion soap, perfume and fabric softner. Remove any new items like diaper, clothes, towel or sheet if none of above, consult with primary care physician or dermatologist.

In brief: Follow instructions
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
2 comments
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Probably just dry skin if no other signs and symptoms of medical concerns.use moisturizing cream /lotion aquaphor ointment on areas that look more scaly,ashy,cerave.cetaphil,eucerin ,neutrogena,aveeno y products.may need script for moderate potency topical steroids .for intended itching and anti histamine for for days to calm itching down to prevent skin infection.moistuyizing
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Sorry for typo it won't let me correct before I made comments.intense not intended.few days.not for for days.ignore last word at end of sentence which is typo moisturizing.
Dr. Cindy Juster