I get severe hives lasting up to 2 weeks when i get laser hair removal done.Is there anything i can do pre-appointment to avoid or minimize the hives?

Dr. Philip Ellerin
Dermatology

In brief: Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

Try taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) (50 mg, 2 capsules) the evening before and after your laser treatment.
It can produce drowsiness, therefore only take in the evening.

In brief: Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

Dr. Philip Ellerin
Dr. Philip Ellerin
Dr. Rene Perez
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Claritin (loratadine)

30 min to one hour before the procedure is what I do for patients with similar complaints.
If hives return after the pretreatment medication effect is over you may then need to be treated with the same medication for a longer period until hives resolve.

In brief: Claritin (loratadine)

Dr. Rene Perez
Dr. Rene Perez
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology

In brief: Antihistamines

Take antihistamines such as benadryl, (diphenhydramine) allegra, claritin, zyrtec.
Take them before the treatment and continue taking them at regular intervals until the hives resolve. Also the physician can give you steroid shots before or after the treatment to prevent the hives from occurring.

In brief: Antihistamines

Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Hives

You can try to take antihistamines such as Claritin or zyrtec.
There are also prescription antihistamines like xyzal (levocetirizine).

In brief: Hives

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher