What developmental signs can I expect near my child's one year birthday?

Dr. Ruben Nazario

In brief: Sitting, steps, mama

Your child's first birthday is an exciting time! at age one, most babies will get to a sitting position without assistance, pull self up to stand, and may even take a couple of steps without help.
They are able to take objects in and out of containers, and can bang two cubes together. And they start developing expressive language, able to say "mama" and "papa" while trying to imitate words.

In brief: Sitting, steps, mama

Dr. Ruben Nazario
Dr. Ruben Nazario
Dr. Julia Sundel

In brief: Walking, talking

Your baby will be able to walk alone or holding on to furniture, play patty-cake, wave bye-bye, pick up objects with tips of thumb and forefinger (neat pincer grasp), say "mama", "dada", drink from a sippy cup and eat finger foods.

In brief: Walking, talking

Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Jonathan Jassey