Could I have cardiomyopathy after the stomach flu? How would I know?

Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: It could happen

But your chances are overwhelmingly in favor of doing fine.
A lot of gastro-intestinal viruses can cause cardiomyopathy but it is usually a combination of the bug and the patient's genetic predisposition of developing the disease. Symptoms can be very non-specific like palpitations, shortness of breath and increased fatigueability. The diagnosis can be made with an echocardiogram. See your doc.

In brief: It could happen

Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Barton Cook
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Yes, why?

Dilated cardiomyopathy can be a result of a viral infection.
Symptoms often occur after the initial viral symptoms (such as the flu) have resolved. I assume you ask because you think you may have cardiomyopathy. You should see your doctor if you have not fully recovered from your recent illness.

In brief: Yes, why?

Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Cindy Juster