Can recurring otitis media be cured by ear tubes?

Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Not cured.
Recurrent otitis media implies chronic issues with the eustachian tube.
In these cases, particularly if there is hearing loss +/- chronic middle ear fluid, ventilating tubes (ear tubes) may be recommended. Tubes bypass a dysfunctional eustachian tube and allow better air exchange in and out of the middle ear, which is implicated in recurrent ear infections.

In brief: Not cured.
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine
I presume you are talking about a child.
Ear infections are common in kids in our world today. It is it isimportant to understand that pe tubes are not for drainage.They are to let air (hence oxygen) into the middle ear. There is therefore a relationship with oxidation, the chemistry of energy metabolism. See my blog "oxygen, tghe spark of life" you vcan google.

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Jay Park
In brief: No but...
The number of episodes of acute infection (acute otitis media) can be greatly reduced.
Moreover, hearing deficit often associated with recurrent ear infection and resultant middle ear effusion, can be reversed.

In brief: No but...
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Cindy Juster