Can my tooth infection spread to my heart and kill me?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Theoretically
Dental infections can put bacteria into the bloodstream which have the potential to infect the lining of the heart (endocarditis), and this has the possibility of a fatal outcome.
Most often you need to have prior damage to the heart lining for this to occur, although less often, not. Get your dental infection treated.

In brief: Theoretically
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Barton Cook
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: It can happen
If you have significant heart valve disease, or serious congenital heart disease, as dr. Raff noted you can get endocarditis from a dental infection.
Endocarditis is serious and requires weeks of IV antibiotics and often heart valve surgery. It can be fatal.

In brief: It can happen
Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Martin Raff
As Dr. Cook so cogently pointed out, cardiac surgery necessary for some cases of infective endocarditis is something to be taken very seriously and the risk avoided if at all possible.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology