Can I take benzodiazepines for anxiety if I have had addiction issues in the past?

Benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepine is not the first line of treatment for just an anxiety. A thorough psychaitric evaluation is necessary to inform diagnosis and choice of treament. Past history of addiction to alcohol and other drugs except benzos, is not an exclusive criteria for the use of benzos for treating panic disorders.
W/ supervision ONLY. With expert, close clinical supervision, psychoactive meds (including benzodiazepines) can be safely utilized. Do not improvise. Only take as prescribed. The meds should be used on a predetermined schedule to prevent anxiety rather than chase it. 1st steps: get a great doctor, see him/her regularly, be entirely honest &compliant in treatment -& see if benzo's are even indicated for your situation.