I'm allergic to penicillin. Am I also allergic to penicillin derived antibiotics?

Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Maybe

Penicillin allergy is usually secondary to either the beta-lactam components or the minor determinants.
If you are found to be allergic (via skin testing) to the beta-lactam component then you are at risk for sensitization to all beta-lactam medications, including cephalosporins. Fortunately in the majority of people, this is not the case. You should consult with your local allergy specialist.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Dr. Francine Yep

Good (and important) question.
If you're allergic to penicillin, then you should not take its cousins like Amoxicillin and dicloxacillin. There's a certain amount of cross-allergies to the cephalosporin family too.

Good (and important) question.
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Peter Kurzweil