Can I get over my OCD by stopping doing the compulsions, or would that be impossible?

Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Clinical Psychology

In brief: It will help

One of the key components of effective psychotherapy for OCD is reducing and ultimately eliminating the compulsive behaviors.
The obsessive thoughts are reinforced each time you engage in the compulsive behavior and elimination of the compulsions certainly improves quality of life as they tend to be a big part of what makes OCD unmanageable. I highly recommend treatment to address both aspects.

In brief: It will help

Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Dr. Danny Westmoreland

In brief: Not likely

However, your quality of life may greatly improve.
There are usually high and lows with ocd. Control of the problem is a great thing if not cured.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Andrea Brand