I use astelin (azelastine) and flonase. Which should I spray into my nose first for best results?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No difference

Neither one, when used first, will add to the effect of the second; in fact, there is one product on the market that includes both of these medications in a single nose spray.
To maximize the effect of the medications, though, you can spray nasal saline into your nose 10-15 minutes before you use the medications, in order to remove any secretions that would interfere with the meds being absorbed.

In brief: No difference

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. John Chiu

In brief: No big difference

Theoretically, Astelin (azelastine) should be used first since it starts working in minutes to decongest the nose followed by Flonase 10-15 minutes later. In practice, not much difference either way.
In fact , the combination product is already available but most insurers would deny it because it is fractionally more expensive than buying the two separately. Too bad we now live in a bottom-line world.

In brief: No big difference

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Peter Kurzweil