How can I know if this swelling is an ingrown toenail or something else?

Dr. Adam Teichman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: See a Podiatrist

Your question is very vague.
I would recommend seeing a specialist to evaluate your concern. If swelling is present in the toe it can many things. Diagnosis may be as simple as an ingrown toenail or as complex as an infection or gout. I would recommend seeing a specialist to answer your questions and evaluate your condition.

In brief: See a Podiatrist

Your question is very vague.
Dr. Adam Teichman
Dr. Adam Teichman

In brief: How long has it been

Ingrown nails usually come on very gradually, and they often go away and then come back.
A fresh problem like an infection would come on faster, and it would probably be the first time. There are lots of other things it could be; see a doctor or a podiatrist if it's keeping you from enjoying life!

In brief: How long has it been

Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery