What's the difference between a torn ankle ligament and a sprained ankle?

Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Nothing

I think of them as the same ligament strain is stretch not torn ligament torn ligaments can heal in a way that leaves th joint unstable strained ligaments can heal at the correct length strain sprain tear all hurt a tear take 6weeks to heal.

In brief: Nothing

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No difference

Sprain by definition means torn or damaged ligaments.
There are grades of sprains from mild stretching of ligaments to tearing to tearing of more than one ligament. These three grades of sprains are managed for the most part similarly. So there is no essential difference in distinguishing between stretched or frankly torn ligaments.

In brief: No difference

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine