When do you know you need to see a dr. To get a steroid shot for poison oak?

Depends on extent. The treatment depends on the degree of skin involvement. In general dermatologists recommend oral Prednisone in the dose of 40 - 60 mg slowly decreased in dose over 2-3 weeks or a shot of kenalog (triamcinolone) at 1mg/kg intramuscularly. The problem is that many people flare, even after a several week course of the medicine. Here is the key--wash everything, including your dog if you had your pet with you.
That is up to you.. Poison ivy/oak is not generally considered a dangerous condition, but can be quite bothersome to those affected. If it is not very bothersome to you, otc topicals, oral antihistamine use etc to help with itching..Keep areas clean/dry. If symptoms svere or involving face/eyes, sensitive areas, consult doc..Oral steroids often do the job! rarely injection is required. Best is avoid it... Good luck.
When OTC fails... If over-the-counter treatment (i.e., the orange stuff!) isn't working it's time to see a physician. One significant risk is the development of infection with open wounds. If the rash is widespread, a steroid shot is very helpful. I use them early and often. If a patient has a rash due to poison ivy (or oak, etc.) and has taken the time to come see me, they need aggressive/effective treatment!
Your call. If it itches too bad to sleep and topical cortisol does not relieve it, especially, do not hesitate.