When do you know you need to see a dr.To get a steroid shot for poison oak?

Dr. Michelle Longmire
Dermatology
In brief: Depends on extent
The treatment depends on the degree of skin involvement.
In general dermatologists recommend oral Prednisone in the dose of 40 - 60 mg slowly decreased in dose over 2-3 weeks or a shot of kenalog (triamcinolone) at 1mg/kg intramuscularly. The problem is that many people flare, even after a several week course of the medicine. Here is the key--wash everything, including your dog if you had your pet with you.

In brief: Depends on extent
Dr. Michelle Longmire
Dr. Michelle Longmire
Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: That is up to you..
Poison ivy/oak is not generally considered a dangerous condition, but can be quite bothersome to those affected.
If it is not very bothersome to you, otc topicals, oral antihistamine use etc to help with itching..Keep areas clean/dry. If symptoms svere or involving face/eyes, sensitive areas, consult doc..Oral steroids often do the job! rarely injection is required. Best is avoid it... Good luck.

In brief: That is up to you..
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
you are correct..as long as your eyes are not affected and symptoms is not getting severely worse, you should be ok...as I mentioned above this is typically not a dangerous condition..just very uncomfortable for many folks...it will go away enventually. Good luck with your employment..it is still bad out there.
Dr. David Rothwell
In brief: When OTC fails...
If over-the-counter treatment (i.
e., the orange stuff!) isn't working it's time to see a physician. One significant risk is the development of infection with open wounds. If the rash is widespread, a steroid shot is very helpful. I use them early and often. If a patient has a rash due to poison ivy (or oak, etc.) and has taken the time to come see me, they need aggressive/effective treatment!

In brief: When OTC fails...
If over-the-counter treatment (i.
Dr. David Rothwell
Dr. David Rothwell
Pathology
In brief: Your call
If it itches too bad to sleep and topical cortisol does not relieve it, especially, do not hesitate.

In brief: Your call