If I have constant pain in my lower outside of my knee and a little swelling, is this something I should have a specialis look at?

Ligament issue. You should first get an elastic knee brace to wear to help reduce the strain on your knee joint. If this doesn't help after a few days, you should call your doctor.
Not necessarily. There are too many possible causes. First get into a good doctor and see what needs done. If at that time a consult with an orthopedist is needed it can be done.