My right eye has been very red since early january. My eye doc diagnosed it as an episcleritis . It has still continued, should I see someone else?

Dr. Michael Ekizian

In brief: Episcleritis

Episcleritis is more common in women and is self-limited in most patients, but a small percentage of cases are associated with underlying rheumatic or infectious disorders.
If you do indeed have a recurrent or unresolving episcleritis, your ophthalmologist may want to do an h+p and send some bloodwork to evaluate for a possible underlying systemic disorder, if it hasn't already been done.

In brief: Episcleritis

Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: 2nd opinion is OK

Episcleritis is a benign but persistent inflammation of the scleral-conjunctival interface.
It is of unknown cause but usually responds well to topical steroid drops which i assume you are taking. Response can take up to six weeks in most cases. Recurrence is possible and common. If you are losing patience with your current treatment it would be reasonable to get a second opinion from an md.

In brief: 2nd opinion is OK

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger