I have a bacterial infection, what factors could cause the infection to become septic?

Very rare. If you mean a bacterial infection in the vagina, it would be highly unlikely for this to proceed to sepsis, which is a serious infection of the bloodstream.
Infection in blood. Once the infection enters the blood stream you are technically bactaremic and have a strong potentila for sepsis.
Several factors. Bacterial infections can enter the blood stream and cause bacteremia. When severe enough, the bacteria make the person very sick in a syndrome that is cause sepsis. Factors that influence this include the type of bacteria, the source of infection, the overall health of the host, and the presence of things that might weaken the immune system.