Had mirena (levonorgestrel) in for 8 days now, and I feel pregnant? I have irregular periods, and I have been bleeding really heavy the past 4 days. Whats going on?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Mirena (levonorgestrel)
This is a common complaint with Progesterone only birth control - which is what Mirena (levonorgestrel) (and Implanon and depo-provera) is.
Some women will bleed or spot irregularly and unpredictably for weeks or months, the bleeding should improve with time - for about 5% the bleeding does not stop while using Progesterone only birth control. Add back estrogen can minimize the bleeding, but will not cure it.

In brief: Mirena (levonorgestrel)
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Can be normal
You may experience heavy and irregular periods for the first 6 month with normal to severe cramping.
If it gets worse or isn't what you expected, call your gyn.

In brief: Can be normal
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. Adam Levy