I play a lot of video games and I have a pain in the knuckle of my thumb. It's like a throbbing feeling. What could this be?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: GAMER's thumb
A new problem seen in video game players (gamers) is an overuse injury=thumb tendonitis.
The treatment is rest, ice, splinting and anti-inflammatories (e.g. Aleve (naproxen) 2 in am, 2 bedtime) hope you are better soon!

In brief: GAMER's thumb
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Could be ARTHRITIS
Excessive use of a joint may cause "wear and tear" arthritis commonly referred to as degenerative joint disease or osteoarthritis.
The erosion of cartilage plus inflammation cause the pain eventually resulting in raw bone on bone as well as bones spurs (osteophytes) which can result in tendon/ligament disruption. Once the cartilage is gone, it is gone and cannot be reproduced with current techniqu.

In brief: Could be ARTHRITIS
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Video game violence
We wrote an article about this many years ago.
It is a type of repetitive trauma. We called it video game violence. This is commonly tendonitis or bursitis. To help this use the heat, exercise, ice treatment program similar to how to help control sports injuries. Heat before the activity and after the activity ice the hand. Sometimes occupational therapy or injection may be necessary.

In brief: Video game violence
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine